Thursday, September 30, 2010

Allow me to introduce myself...

Hello. I’d like to take the time to introduce myself to the Carpe Diem Book Design fans. My name is Sarah and I’m the newest addition to this great team as a designer. And much like our Administration Manager, Trisha, I too have avoided the fortnightly blog duties…until now. The whip has been cracked and it’s time to type.

I’m originally from Minnesota in the good ol’ U S of A and ended up in New Zealand the way a lot of expats have…I came for a holiday and just never left. I love it here! To leave the snow and cold behind in turn for sun (well sometimes), beaches (albeit cold beaches) and the laid-back kiwi attitude cannot be discounted.

One challenge I realized with designing in New Zealand is the adding of random vowels and swapping of consonants in words that don’t change their pronunciation, but are still deemed ‘necessary’ and ‘correct’. Whether I’m putting on my jewelry, analyzing the color of my pajamas, going to the theater, and let’s not ignore the constant dialog on aluminum…I always throw a few extra letters in the conversation and hope they land in the right places. So for all of you out there, if you see a misplaced ‘z’ or a missing ‘u’, just mutter, ‘bloody yank!’ and note it with the red pen. I’ll just mutter ‘silly kiwis!’ when I go to fix it. It’s a two-way street, but debatable to which side you’re supposed to drive on. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment